The Okalahoma City Bombing

English Period 6


Extra Credit

On April 19th 1995, in Okalahoma City, a large yellow Ryder truck pulled into the parking lot of the Alfred P. Murrah building. The driver casually stepped out and walked away from the truck at about 8:58. At around 9:02 the 4,000 pound cargo blew up the Alfred P. Murrah building to shreds. Thus, the worst act of terrorism the U.S had seen before the September 11th hijackings.

The sirens blasted as the Alfred P. Murrah building came crumbling down. Yet the twenty-seven year old responsible for the bombing never actually heard the sirens because he had earplugs on to protect him from the blast that lifted pedestrians off of the street. Traffic signs and parking meters flew through the air. Shattered glass flew like bullets.

Inside the building, survival depended on where you were located. Some lucky people had left their usual posts, like to fetch coffee or to run errands. While they were away their fellow workers were blown away. The explosion caused a chain-reaction. The bottom floor, which was a daycare center, was crushed when the top floors collapsed, killing all of the children in the process. Rescue searchers frantically searched for survivors. Sound devices helped rescue workers find Dana Bradley, a woman who was buried alive. Her leg was trapped under a large piece of concrete. The only way to free her was to amputate her leg. Since giving her anesthetic could send her into a coma, they had to amputate her leg while she was conscious. Her leg wasn\'t the only thing she lost that day; she lost her mother and her two young children.

Hundreds of acts of heroism would arrive through out the day. Homegrown terrorism had arrived with a vengeance, and the terrorist was the kid next door. And he was cruising away from the carnage down interstate 35.

Okalahoma Patrol Trooper Charles Hanger had received orders to head down to the Alfred P. Murrah building. After two minutes pass, he receives instructions to stay where he is. Hanger spots a beat up 1977 Mercury Grand Marquis without a license plate. He pulled over the car. Timothy Mcveigh was questioned by the trooper about his license plate. Mcveigh said that he just purchased the car and he was waiting for the right forms and papers to be mailed. The officer then noticed a bulge in Timothy Mcveigh’s jacket. Mcveigh told the officer that it was a gun. The officer took his gun from his holster and confiscated Mcveigh’s gun. Mcveigh was handcuffed and placed in the officer’s car while he ran a computer check on his license and the 9mm glock. Mcveigh’s license was not valid in Okalahoma and he was arrested. At the jail Mcveigh was booked for four misdemeanors, unlawfully carrying a weapon, transporting a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, failing to provide a license plate and failing to provide proof of insurance.

The rear bumper of the Ryder truck was discovered and the license plate was traced to the rental place that rented it. Robert Cling was the person who rented the truck from the place. Robert Cling was an alias that Mcveigh used to rent the Ryder truck. The FBI called the number that was on the rental agreement. Ms. McGowan told the FBI that Mcveigh rented the truck and parked it in the parking lot of the Alfred P. Murrah building earlier that day. The license plate and the Police Charge Sheet matched Mcveigh to the scene of the crime. The FBI had their man and time was running out for Timothy Mcveigh.

The excitement intensified at the Oklahoma City command center. Cheers of relief went up as the news that "We got him!" spread. Immediately, agents were in choppers heading for the Noble County jail. Mcveigh was waiting in the lobby for his turn to see the judge. Officers disconnected the phones because they knew Mcveigh would try to contact a lawyer. Officers then escorted McVeigh back to his cell. They told him the judge was not ready for his case. Back in his cell, an inmate asked him if he was the bomber. McVeigh ignored the question. All of the helicopters around the jail house told