This essay Swift's Real Argument has a total of 1184 words and 5 pages.
Swift\'s Real Argument
Swift\'s Real Argument
God only knows from whence came Freud\'s theory of penis envy, but one of his more tame theories, that of "reverse psychology", may have its roots in the satire of the late Jonathan Swift. I do not mean to assert that Swift employed or was at all familiar with that style of persuasion, but his style is certainly comparable. Reverse psychology (as I chose to define it for this paper) means taking arguments that affirm an issue to such a degree that they seem absurd, and thus oppose the issue. Swift, in "An Argument [Against] The Abolishing Of Christianity In England" stands up for Christianity, and based on the absurdity of his defense, he inadvertently desecrates it. He sets up a fictitious society in which Christianity is disregarded and disdained, but nominal Christianity remains. The author writes to defend this nominal Christianity from abolition. The arguments that the author uses, which are common knowledge in his time, if applied to Christianity in Swift\'s time would be quite dangerous allegations. Indeed, the reasons that Swift gives for the preservation of the fictitious Christianity are exactly what he sees wrong with the Christianity practiced in his time. By applying Swift\'s satirical argument for the preservation of this fictitious religion to that which was currently practiced, Swift asserts that their Christianity served ulterior motives, both for the government and for the people.
If we are to prove that the government was using religion for selfish purposes, we must be sure that it was not serving its intended purpose, the assurance of the moral sanctity of its policies. This is quite evident in the author\'s comment that if real Christianity was revived, it would be, "destroy at one blow all the wit and half the learning of the kingdom; to break the entire frame and constitution of things[.]" This proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Christianity has no influence on the government\'s current policies. It even seems as if the government established Church isn\'t completely rooted in Christianity, as the author weakly suggests that, "[A]bolishing Christianity may perhaps bring the church into danger."
The ways that the government actually uses Christianity are completely selfish. One such purpose is the consolation of allies, "among whom, for we ought to know, it may be the custom of the country to believe a God." He later goes on to suggest the abolition of Christianity in peace-time in order to avoid the loss of allies. It also seems as if the government uses Christianity to pacify the commoners. Although Swift sarcastically interjects, "Not that I [agree] with those who hold religion to have been the intervention of politicians to keep the lower part of the world in awe," he also says that religion is, "[O]f singular use for the common people."
In other instances, the government does not use, but certainly benefits from Christianity. In several ways Christianity is a buffer from dissension, in that it takes a blow that might have instead landed on government. Many of the reasons that the author\'s opposition has given for abolishing Christianity deals with the settlement of unrest that comes from religious disputes. One such example they give is that if Christianity were abolished, there would be no more persecution of "blasphemers". Swift answers that these people are naturally inclined to rebel against establishments. Therefore, if the church, their favorite object of rebellion, was taken away, they would resort to rebelling against the government. This statement suggests that ,"deorum offensa diis curae" (offenses against the gods are the god\'s business). If applied to the English government, it accuses them of only punishing "blasphemers" in the interest of protecting the government. Another argument that the author counters is that upon the fall of Christianity, Protestants and other dissenters would be able to again join in communion with the Catholic church. To this, the author retorts that while this may take away one reason for dissension, "spirit of opposition" would still remain. Thus, when these Protestants found themselves unhappily thrust back into the fold, they would simply find another area in which to dissent, and this time it may be an important area like government. While reaffirming the government\'s selfish motives, this accuses the Protestants of
Topics Related to Swift's Real Argument
Anglo-Irish people, Jonathan Swift, Taylor Swift, Penis envy, Satire, Argument, Mean
Essays Related to Swift's Real Argument
Bleeding Ireland and Black AmericaBleeding Ireland and Black America Fall Road is deserted. Only a few dirt-caked, barefoot, Irishmen can be seen shivering in the adjacent park. We walk past the Catholic neighborhoods knowing, at any moment, buildings might explode and automatic weapon fire could lacerate the air on every side of us. Belfast is charming, apart from the harsh reality of guerrilla warfare and terrorism being common occurrences. For the first time, throughout my three month tour of seventeen different European coun
IrelandIreland Ireland is a country in Europe with a coast on the Atlantic Ocean. It is called the Emerald Isle because of its green color. Its people derived mainly from Great Britain. Most of the population is Roman Catholic. The Climate is much like ours. The republic of Ireland covers 83% of its stand with the other 17% containing the country of Northern Ireland. There are twenty-six counties in the Republic with the over-all capitol of Dublin. The six northeastern counties form the county of North
IrelandIreland Ireland Ireland is a country in Europe with a coast on the Atlantic Ocean. It is called the Emerald Isle because of its green color. Its people derived mainly from Great Britain. Most of the population is Roman Catholic. The Climate is much like ours. The republic of Ireland covers 83% of its stand with the other 17% containing the country of Northern Ireland. There are twenty-six counties in the Republic with the over-all capitol of Dublin. The six northeastern counties form the county
Juvenalian and Horatian SatireJuvenalian and Horatian Satire Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody\'s face but their own; which is the chief reason for that kind of reception it meets in the world, and that so very few are offended with it. Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), Anglo-Irish satirist. The Battle of the Books, Preface (written 1697; published 1704). Satire is known as the literary style which makes light of a subject, diminishing its importance by placing it in an amusing or scorn
Juvenalian and Horatian SatireJuvenalian and Horatian Satire Juvenalian and horatian Satire ³Satire is a sort of glass, wherein beholders do generally discover everybody\'s face but their own; which is the chief reason for that kind of reception it meets in the world, and that so very few are offended with it.² Jonathan Swift (1667-1745), Anglo-Irish satirist. The Battle of the Books, Preface (written 1697; published 1704). Satire is known as the literary style which makes light of a subject, diminishing its importance by pl
ABBREVIATION IN ENGLISH ABBREVIATION IN ENGLISH An abbreviation is a shorter way to write a word or phrase. People use abbreviations for words that they write a lot. The English language often uses the apostrophe mark \' to show that a word is written in a shorter way, but some abbreviations do not use this mark. Some abbreviations use the period mark, especially the ones that come from the Latin language. Some examples of common English abbreviations are don\'t for do not , shouldn\'t for should not , etc. for et cet
IRA: Is Force Justified?IRA: Is Force Justified? The Irish Republican Army is not justified in using force to achieve its aims because the Irish Republican Army (IRA) represents the minority of the population in Northern Ireland. The IRA also is not justified in using force because using force does not work and it turns their supporters against them. The IRA’s goals are political and political rights should be achieved through political methods, not by force. In cases where the majority of the population is not fairly
A Modest ProposalA Modest Proposal . . .first ask the parents of these mortals whether they would not at this day think it a great happiness to have been sold for food at a year old in the manner I prescribe, and thereby have avoided such a perpetual scene of misfortunes as they have since gone through by the oppression of landlords, the impossibility of paying rent without money or trade, the want of common sustenance, with neither house nor clothes to cover them from the inclemencies of weather, and the most i
ImmigrationImmigration Throughout time people have moved and migrated around the world for many different reasons. Immigration, throughout history, has become an important element in the diffusion of culture in the U. S. and the rest of the world. Immigration is defined as the transfer of a foreigner from one country to another to settle there. Many ethnic groups have migrated to foreign lands to better their positions and run from troubles they faced such as unemployment, famine, poverty, disease, starvat
Jonathan SwiftJonathan Swift During the years 1660-1780, a literary and intellectual movement known as the Enlightenment swept through Europe. One significant characteristic of the Enlightenment was the emergence of rationalism. Rationalism is a theory which states that the exercise of reason, rather than the acceptance of empiricism, authority, or spiritual revelation, provides the only valid basis for actions and beliefs. Because of this intense emphasis on reason, the Enlightenment, in England, was referre