"Has been a lifesaver so many times!"
- Catherine Rampell, student @ University of Washington
"Exactly the help I needed."
- Jennifer Hawes, student @ San Jose State
"The best place for brainstorming ideas."
- Michael Majchrowicz, student @ University of Kentucky
My experiment is to investigate the effect of osmosis on potato tissue. In this experiment there are two variables (things that change to effect the results), which are; the mass change and the length change of the potato chip. From a preliminary experiment that I did, the results showed me that there was a large mass change in the chips and the length hardly changed at all. This shows that to be able to obtain some good results I will need to measure the change in mass.
Using the results from the preliminary experiment I have decided to use 5 different concentrations of Sucrose Solution to water because I will then be able to obtain a variety of results, which will give me a good overall percentage change for each of the solutions.
Sucrose Concentration (%)
Volume of 25% Sucrose Solution (cm)
Volume of Water (cm)
This is how I will do the experiment:
· Collect all the equipment which will include;
15 Petri Dishes
Sucrose Solution and Distilled Water
· Cut the potato up into even sized small and thin slices
· Weigh each potato chip and record
· Measure out the concentration of the sucrose solution and the water using the measuring cylinder, and then place into the Petri dish
· Place 3 potatoes in the Petri dish and close the lid, label and then leave to let osmosis take place
· Repeat for the other 4 concentrations
· After leaving for a certain time come back to the dishes and take the potato chips out
· Blot each of the chips dry using the filter paper and then re-weigh each chip and record
· Calculate the mass change and the percentage mass change
· The equipment that will be in use in this experiment is Petri Dishes, a knife, and
View Full Essay
Food and drink, American cuisine, Snack foods, Sugar substitutes, Disaccharides, Sucrose, Sugar, Potato, Osmosis, Petri dish, French fries, Solution
More Free Essays Like This