Personal Writing About My Mother and Her Stay In the Hospital

by Master of Zoul

During second period math class, the PA comes on. I hear "David Higgins
to the office for an early dismissal, Please". Being as I was only in the second
grade, I rushed to the office, only to see my God Mother waiting for me. She
tells me that we have to go pick up my other two brothers at pre-school. I asked
her why, but, she only responded with "I\'ll explain later". So I followed her to
the car and hopped in. We rushed to Mitzpah, where the pre-school my brothers
were in was. We picked up my two younger brothers and rushed to my God Mothers
home in Millville.

My God Mother then explained that my father would not be home for a
while, being as he was rushing to Cooper Hospital to see my mother. At this
point in time, being of such a young age, I started to block out a lot of what
she was telling us all. I only remember a little bit of that period of time
because of my memory block.

When my father had come home from the hospital, he told us all that our
mother had been envlolved in a serious car accident, and that she wouldn\'t be
home for a few weeks. I don\'t remember very much after that, except for the fact
that the period of time my mother was in the hospital fell on her birthday. So,
all of the family, except me, sat down next to the stereo. My father plugged in
a microphone, popped in a blank cassestte and hit record. Each one of the
children started to sing "Happy Birthday", then ended with a personal message.
My father then recorded his message. I was in so much shock and horror that I
didn\'t want to record anything. I was under the belief that my mother wasn\'t
coming home at all.

My family kept trying to get me to record something, but, I refused.
After about a week or two of my mother being in the hospital, the whole family
got in the car, and went to visit her. Being as it was a very large hospital,
and alot of people were being brought in every so often. We were not allowed to
stay very long. We had to sign in, and then go upstairs to the waiting room. My
mother was in a special room, so we had to wait for a nurse to bring her out to
the waiting room.

We visited my mother and then went home. I can\'t remembr much about the
visit, except that it was very short. My mother then eventually came home. She
had to sleep downstairs in a special bed, because she couldn\'t walk up the
stairs. The accident had crushed her right ankle bone, making it rather hard for
her to walk. Actually, she wasn\'t able to get out of bed for a long period of
time. When she was finally able to get out of the bed, she had to use a wheel

Once she was able to leave the house, the family started to look for a
new place to live. We couldn\'t stay in the house we were living in because of
the damamge to my mothers ankle. She would never again be able to walk up the
steep stairs in the old house. We eventually found a house in Landisville, were
we currently reside. My mother did as much as she could to get the house
straightened up, with the help of a few very nice friends.

I have learned to love my mother alot more, and cherish life for all it
is. The accident had left a small memory block. But, until this day, I can
remember sitting in class and hearing "David Higgins to the office for an early
dismissal, Please".

Category: English