Mission San Jose


Mission San Jose was founded on June 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen because the Spaniard want to extend the mission chain into the San Francisco bay area. Itís the fourteenth mission on the mission chain. It is named in after Saint Joseph. After the dedication, nearby Mission Santa Clara sent soldiers and neophytes to help build Mission San Jose. They used adobe, and bricks. Even though the Mission had a lot of workers, it started slowly. In 1806, Father Narciso Duran came to help organize the mission. With the help of Father Narciso Duran, Mission San Jose rank third in livestock (in 1832, they have 1100 horses, 12,000 cows, 40 pigs, and 11,000 sheep) and second in agriculture (in 1832, they have 7,585,200 pounds wheat, and 14,695,700). Mission San Jose also had the most neophytes than any other mission in northern California because the neophytes in Mission San Jose helped a lot of runaway neophytes from other missions.


In fall of 1828, priests at Mission San Jose let a neophyte named Estanislao go visit his home. When he got there, Estanislao told the priests that he wonít go back to the mission. Later, he started getting other neophytes to help him destroy the Spanish. More and more neophytes ran away to help Estanislao beat the Spaniards. Father Duran then commanded the soldiers at the San Francisco presidio to stop Estanislao. In the war, many soldiers and Indians were killed, but Estanislao wasnít killed because Father Duran protected him and asked the Spanish government if he could let Estanislao continue his work as a neophyte. Estanislao later died of small pox.


Life at the Mission is hard and uneasy for the neophytes. The daily schedule is told by ringing bells. Each mission has at least two bells. One to tell that it is the time to pray and the other to tell that it is the time to work, break, lunch, breakfast, or dinner. Some of the work at the missions were growing crop and tending cattle. Each mission marked their livestock with a specific symbol. San Joseís symbol looks like a J.


In the morning, everyone living in the mission would go to the church and pray. Later, they would have their breakfast. Then they would start their daily work. Everybody had to work, even the children. At noon, everyone would have lunch and take a nap. A few hours later, they would go to the church again. At around 2:00 P.M., everyone went back to work. The women would start putting plates, eating utensils, and food onto the tables at the dining room. At about 6:00, they would have feast dinner and around 9:00 they would go to bed.


Mission San Jose was secularized because the Spanish lost the Mexican War. The Mexicanís role was to have the neophytes own the Mission. Most neophytes stayed at the mission and others worked as servants because they forgot their way of living as they lived in the mission for so long. When the other people knew that the mission was secularized, they started taking furniture from the priestís room, stealing cattle from the fenced lawn, and pulling adobe bricks from the roofs. Rats and other pests also started invading the mission. In 1846, Governor Pico sold the mission and the mission was turned into a general store. In 1858, it was returned to the Catholic Church.


In 1868, the nearby fault, the Hayward Fault erupted destroying the missioní collapse potions of the wall, splitting the roof completely in half and destroyed most of the out buildings. Today, the mission is standing on 43300 Mission Blvd at Washington Blvd, Fremont, California. It is in a terrible shape. Only a small adobe portion of the priest quarters and a few olive trees stand.


Some other information I got is that many books incorrectly named Mission San Jose, Mission San Jose de Guadalupe.