Ireland


Ireland is a country in Europe with a coast on the Atlantic Ocean. It is
called the Emerald Isle because of its green color. Its people derived mainly
from Great Britain. Most of the population is Roman Catholic. The Climate is
much like ours.

The republic of Ireland covers 83% of its stand with the other 17%
containing the country of Northern Ireland. There are twenty-six counties in the
Republic with the over-all capitol of Dublin. The six northeastern counties form
the county of Northern Ireland which is actually connected to the republic.
Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom, where as the republic is not.
The whole Island was under British rule before 1922. The island containing the
Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, is separated by the original ruling
country of Great Britain by way of the Irish Sea.

Ireland is actually a detached fragment from the European Mainland. Most
of the country is 500 ft. above sea level. The surface of the country is covered
by glacial drift from the Pleistocene ice age. This period left eskers, or long
gavel ridges, and drumlins or small hills that were left behind by the glaciers.
You can find the start of this belt in the west of the country by Clew Bay. It
continues across the country.

In the south of Ireland, there is a series of parallel ridges of
Devonian sandstone. The ridges rise in elevation westward and lead up to
Carrantuohill, the largest mountain in the country. The famous lakes of
Killarney are located at that point. The lakes are famous for their scenic
beauty.

In the southeast of Ireland, granites from the Devonian age makeup the
uplands which travel 80 mi. in a northeasterly direction towards the counties of
Wexford and Wicklow, reaching the south shore of Dublin Bay. These uplands are
glacier modified valleys.

Most of the soil in Ireland have been formed of Glacial Drift. Limestone,
as around here, is the most common bedrock in Ireland, Making it even more like
our area. Gleyed soils are commonly found where there is poor drainage, such as
in the north-central lowland. Because of past wetness and acidity, peat has
accumulated to form bogs that now cover thousands of acres in the midlands.
These bogs are useless for agricultural purposes, but very useful in the source
of peat fuel. Peat covers much of the higher hills and supports much vegetation
making it actually an indirect importance to agriculture. It also makes good
grazing for sheep.

The climate of all of Ireland stays mainly as a cool maritime climate.
July has average temperatures ranging from 61 degrees in the south, to 57
degrees in the north. Westerly winds that pick up moisture from the warm
Atlantic Ocean and drop it first over the western mountains. About 80% of the
rest of the country has 30-50 inches of rainfall yearly, although the eastern
coast is relatively dry, only picking up 28 inches annually in Dublin.

Most of the central lowland is drained by the Shannon River, which is
230 miles long and is navigable for most of its journey. Through its length, it
separates into numerous lakes such as the Allen and the Ree. A few miles from
Limerick, the Shannon River\'s rapid fall to sea level is used to generate much
electricity. In the south of Ireland, such as the Blackwater, Lee, and Bandon
flow west to east between the sandstone ridges. Their stream patterns are
unusual in that their courses actually cut into right angled bends, cutting
southward the ridges to form steep-sided valleys. In parts of the country, the
limestone bedrock has formed an underground drainage system.

There is limited wildlife in Ireland, including deer, pine marten, fox,
badger, squirrel, and hare. There are numerous seabirds on the coast. The only
reptiles are small lizards.

The main resource in Ireland is its agricultural land that covers more
than 70% of the countryside. Less than 5% of the remaining land under tree cover,
it is the least forested country, despite reforestation.

Education in the primary ages is mainly run by the religious groups,
being mainly of the Roman Catholic type. Schools past that age group of 6-15,
are run by the state and are private. The national universities include Dublin,
Cork, Galway, and Maynooth. The university of Dublin was founded in 1592 and has
one college, being Trinity College of Dublin.

Financial assistance for health purposes, is given by the government on
the basis of economic need by the patient. There are enough hospitals, but
strangely enough, the doctor-patient ratio is 1 to 1,000. The chief cause of
death is heart