A Remarkable Woman Of The Early West

Margaret Ann Martin was born in Greenfield, Nelson County, Virginia on January
20th, 1834. Her parents were Hudson Martin and Nancy Thorpe. Hudson Marton was
born in Virginia in 1765. At the close of the Revolutionary War, Giddeon Martin, his after
moved to Kentucky. Giddeon Martin had fought for seven years in the Revolution under
General George Washington.
Hudsont Martin and Nancy Thorpe were married March 22nd, 1824. The
following children were born to this union John, their only son, and daughters Jane,
Mahalley, Margaret Ann, Nancy and Jennie. They were raised in Virginia.
Margaret Ann\'s mother died in 1859 and her father in 1861. Margaret Ann was
married to Andrew Jackson on December 16th, 1858. They loved in Broxton County,
West Virginia. Andrew Jackson, joined with the Confederate Army and was made
Captain of Company B-19th Virginia Cavalry.
Mrs. Jackson was ordered north in the fall of 1863. All of her possessions and
property were confiscated and she was allowed to take only her two saddle bags of
clothing, approximately sixty pounds of baggage. She was carried on horseback, under a
flag of truce through the Confederate lines to her house in Virginia.
During his four years of service in the army, Captain Jackson came home to visit
his wife three times. On one visit, he only had time for dinner with her and had been gone
about fifteen minutes when the house was surrounded by soldiers. Once he came for a
visit overnight and at another time for nine days.
At the close of war, Captain and Mrs. Jackson moved to South Carolina two years
in the fall of 1865hey started West by ox teams, stopping in Bandera Couny, Texas, where
they remained until 1873. Mr. Jackson was running a sawmill there.
They left Texas, May 1873 with three wagons and ox teams, driving five yoke of
oxen to one wagon and four yoke each to the other two wagons. They avaraved from
twenty to twenty five miles per day. At night, when camped, two oxen were necked
together and belled.
They spent that winter in Trinadad, Colorado, where they could have good range
for there cattle, remaining there until May 1874 when they started north on the third leg of
their journey, going out by Larma City, Pueblo, Denver and down to the great Salt Lake,
hence to Corrine into Idaho, down the Snake River to Munds Ferry, then out over the
Powder Range into backer City, Oregon. From here they traveled into Grand Round
Valley, crossed the Blued mountains into Walla-Walla and continued up the Columbia
River, crossing in October 13, 1874, coming into Yakama County, Washington. They
arrived at Kittitas Valley, November 2nd, 1874. Mr. Jackson was a stock and horse trader
so in the spring he decided to go to Pudget Sound where he sold his oxen for $250.00 a
team, realizing some $3,250.00. He then bought two teams of horses, four head, and one
team of mules with wagon. They lived in Washington for a few years, logging and
working in a sawmill but he soon became restless and wanted to go South, through
Oregon, Klamath Lake, Tule Lake and out into California. They crossed the Sacramento
River at Red Bluffs into Sacramento City, and continued on into San Joaquin Valley,
coming through to San Bernardino, California. After some short rest and many needed
repairs, the wagon train started across the desert to Hardyville, hence on into Arizona.
They arrived in Presscott, January 1st, 1876. Mrs., Jackson was the first white woman to
live on Lower Oak Creek . They drove out to Chino Valley and lived there for three
months in a house owned by Mr. Hall.
While speculating and trading around, Mr. Jackson made up his mind to move to
Oak Creek. Here, they were the first white settlers or ranchers on the lower creek until
late in the fall of 1876. Mrs. Jackson was the first white woman to live on the Lower Oak
Creek. Living among the warring Apaches, she saw many fierce out breaks and raids.
Mr. Jackson was a stoic, care free and dominating man. He traded and handled
stock, traveling about the country for many miles, leaving his wife alone in there cabin on
the creek, Mrs. Jackson tended to the stock and did all the ranch chores alone. She
related that many a time she saw and heard yelling Indians ride by the place on the
surrounding hills, but she was molested and remained secluded in her small cabin.