This essay Naked has a total of 1845 words and 10 pages.
David Sedaris; Little Brown & co. 1997
“ The women’s open”
1. Throughout the essay “ The women’s open” David’s father obsession for golf is shown. The power of his obsession leads him to forget what should be important to him.
2. Sedaris expresses the lack of heart his father shows towards people and even his children when it comes down to golf. For example the first day Lisa ever got her period was out on the golf course while her dad was watching a professional tournament, at first while she complained about her back pains he just simply brushed her off. At the moment he realized the problem he asked a women just as devoted to golf as he to accompany her to the ladies room for a sanitary napkin. He kept David with him so he could run after the thin tees that usually flew 20 feet away from the golfers swing, just so he could keep them for good luck. On another occasion Lisa’s mother had recorded a video of movies that they enjoy watching together. After her mother had passed away Lisa searched everywhere for the video her mother had made for her. She found it in her fathers basement along with all his golf videos. As she began to watch the video memories began to arise until a man bending down on a golf course appeared on the screen. Her father had recorded a golf tournament over her mothers memories. Sedaris succeeded in letting the reader know how obsessed his father was with golf and the pain it put the family through.
3. Sedaris begins with a short passage foreshadowing an event that will occur that day. He begins this way to let the reader know that there is importance behind the story. After his foreshadowing he commences with the story.
4. Sedaris uses descriptive sets of paragraphs followed by dialogue to express what is going on. For example, returning from the tournament they find Lisa lying in the back seat of his Porsche. the first word out of Lisa’s mouth were not too pleasant . “ My father sighed and shook his head in disappointment. This was the same way he reacted to my mother when anger and frustration caused her to forget herself. Lisa was not a daughter now but just another female unable to control her wildly shifting emotions. “ Don’t mind her,” he said wiping a thin coat of pollen of the wind shield. “ She’s just having lady problems.” ”
5. I think Sedaris was very effective in his writing. I don’t like golf but the way he expressed how his fathers obsession and how it was a domi
Read essay without registering
Donate an essay now and get the full essay emailed you